December 27, 2010

Run, Jenny Leigh, Run

I'm not quite sure what made me consider running the Sidney Lanier Bridge.  I drove across it a few days ago and thought...I should run this bridge.  I've been talking about it every day since.  It was quite a humorous thought, even I knew that, considering I haven't worked out in...well, let's not talk about that.  And then there was that other teeny tiny factor: I HATE running.  So with those two details in mind, my announcing that I was going to run the longest spanning bridge in the state of Georgia was laughable at best.

But then something possessed me to dig up some clothes suitable for running and put on my shoes today at 12:30pm.  Jason contributed some running gloves and his trusty running sweatshirt.  I could see it in his eyes that he was being supportive but also thought that I should maybe I should work up to this run because it's a challenge on a good day.  And I kinda realized my craziness in the back of my mind, but my stubbornness threw me in the car and drove me down the street before I could talk myself out of it.

When the bridge came into sight, it sure looked a lot bigger than I remembered it.  And when the wind shook my car as I drove over it, I thought...this may not be a good experience.  But again, my stubbornness took over, parked my car and walked my body to the base of the bridge.  Wow.  Yeah, it was much longer and taller (a mere 480 feet) than I remembered it.  I didn't look at it but for a brief moment.  I pressed play on my ipod, took a deep breath and started running.

About a half mile up the north side of the bridge, I thought...I will be happy if I can just make it to the one mile mark a little past the top because let's face it...on flat land and on a non-windy day, this non-runner is usually burnt out after about a mile.

The higher I ran, the stronger the wind blew.  I started laughing as I thought...I am running the Sidney Lanier Bridge - this is cool and nuts at the same time. 

I make it to the one mile mark and shout out with excitement.  Okay, so going down the other side can't be that bad.  And it wasn't.  But then I had to turn around and do it all over again.  Oy.  Now the wind was really blowing on my way up, but somehow, I just kept on going.  Oh, how I wanted to stop.  But my brain also kept saying, "How cool would it be to say that on my first try, I ran the whole thing?"  When I made it to the top for the second time, I decided that there really wasn't a good reason to stop running, and I soon found myself at my car.

What was even more shocking?  It only took me 45 minutes.  Now how far did I run?  I had no clue.  So I hopped in my car and drove my course...and it came to 3.6 miles exactly.

Wait...  What?  3.6 miles?!  I  JUST RAN 3.6 MILES?!  ME???  That's the most I've ever run at once in my entire life!

I cannot tell you how cool that felt.  What an accomplishment for me!  Me...the non-runner.  3.6 miles...half of which was a fairly steep incline...and on a very windy day...in only 45 minutes.  And...I liked it!

I think I may be hooked to running on the bridge.  (Who is this person typing?  Do I know her?)  I don't know...we'll see.  Running the bridge is waaaay better than running on flat land.  But it's running.  I don't like running.  How is it that I like running on the bridge?  I don't think I'm going to question it...and just embrace it instead.

I accomplished something really cool today...and that feels good.

(Photo: Dana Oliver) 

(Photo: http://www.herrinds.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment