March 5, 2012

Photo Spots in St. Lucia {St. Lucia Wedding Photographer}

It's another Monday morning that I have come to love!  I've been spending my Mondays planning my wonderful adventure to St. Lucia to photograph Melissa & Dave's intimate wedding at the Ladera hotel overlooking the Pitons.  Before the wedding day, we will be traveling to one or more locations to take more images of the lovebirds.  (This is my job?  Pinch me!)

Melissa sent me a few suggestions for locations to scope out for our additional day of photographs, and I'm in love with every single one.  So on this Monday morning where you're jones-ing for another cup of coffee to help you begin your work week, why not take a visual trip to paradise with me? 

La Sikwi Historical Sugar Mill and Plantation

This location combines my love for visual history with lush, green vegetation.  The La Sikwi (Creole for "sugar mill") was built in 1860 and sits on a 400-acre banana cocoa plantation.  This location is now open for tours and houses a restaurant serving authentic Creole cuisine.

 Image available for downloading at Wallpapers5

Balenbouche Estate

What is not to love about this place?  According to the Estate's official website, "European settlements at Balenbouche Estate were established as early as the 1740′s. St Lucia’s first road (the Chemin Royal) traversed the Estate."  

The grounds house cottages for island guests looking for seclusion, a little R&R, and a variety of breathtaking locations for weddings and photo ops, such as a coconut field and a gorgeous beach leading into pristine blue waters.

The cottages do not have air conditioning but are so charming, I may choose to stay here for a few nights to get a real St. Lucia experience.  (And so we can take some photos here with Melissa & Dave!)

Photo from Balenbouche Estate website

Photo from Balenbouche Estate website

Soufriere

Situated on the West coast of the island, Soufriere was the original capital city and is rich in history.  It has been rebuilt several times over the past few hundred years after many hurricanes and an earthquake.  Such a colorful and awesome little town!  I definitely need to do some exploring here to find some unique locations for photographs! 

Photo: Wikipedia

Photo: Wikipedia

Photo: NJ Charters

Photo: Wikipedia

The beach at Anse Chastanet

Several people have recommended this location to me, including the bride-to-be.  It's a highly photographed spot, and is there any doubt why?  The grass umbrellas and beautiful beach is a photographer's dream.  This beach sits on the hotel's grounds...so maybe we can grab a drink and wander on the beach to take some photos?  Or maybe I'll be forced to just stay there. I mean, how can you go wrong with a hotel that lists "do nothing" as one of its' available activities?  (P.S. Everyone seems to have a different spelling of this hotel's name, but I'm using the spelling on the hotel's website.)

Photo: Anse Chastanet website


Pigeon Island / Fort Rodney

Another cool little place, rich with history!  The double-peaked Pigeon Island used to be its own piece of land but was joined to the western coast of mainland in 1972 by a man-made causeway built from dirt excavated to form the Rodney Bay Marina.  On the lower peak sits Fort Rodney, which was used by the British to spy on French ships coming and going into Martinique.  Since 1992, it has been the location of the St. Lucia Jazz Festival, which we will miss by 2 weeks!

Photo: Wikipedia

Photo: Wikipedia

Oh, I cannot wait to share with you the beauty of these locations as I see them through MY lens!

Next Monday, I'll share with you several locations I found that may be worth exploring for Melissa & Dave's additional photo session on the island.  Until then, I hope you all had a wonderful start to your week!  I'll see you back here soon!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful images....St. John (just an island away) is my favorite place on earth. Can't wait to see your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such suitable and calm locations for wedding photography are hard to find. These really make the clicks worth capturing and also create everlasting memories. My friend celebrated her wedding fixing luncheon at one of the mushy Los Angeles event venues with best of quality cuisines.

    ReplyDelete